Karnataka polls: 2,295 candidates file nominations
Bangalore: An estimated 2,295 candidates have entered the fray for the May 5 Assembly polls in Karnataka, as the process of filing nominations ended on Wednesday.
Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar (Hubli-Dharwad Central) was among those who filed nominations on the last day.
As many as 586 nominations were received so far today, taking the cumulative number to 2,947, with independents accounting for the largest chunk at 1051, Karnataka Chief Electoral Officer Anil Kumar Jha told reporters here.
Candidates can file multiple nominations. Total number of candidates, who submitted papers is 2,295, a number which is subject to "updation" as Election officials are still in the process of compilation.
April 20 is the last day for withdrawal.
In 23 of the total 224 segments, the number of candidates is more than 16, which means that the authorities would have to deploy additional ballot unit as one can have a total of only 16 names, in the event of them remaining in the fray beyond that number.
As per the report submitted to him by the City Police Commissioner Raghavendra Auradkar, there is nothing to suggest that the blast near the BJP office today is linked to elections, Jha said.
He said authorities seized Rs 12 lakh in cash and eight kgs of gold in Tumkur district, Rs three lakh in Deodurg and Rs five lakh in Soraba, adding, an investigation is on to find if they were meant for "use" for the polls, in violation of model code of conduct.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day