Karnataka polls: I-T officials raid premises of astrologer, seize Rs 1.7 cr
Bangalore: Officials of Income Tax department have seized Rs 1.7 crore cash from two premises of a city-based astrologer popular with politicians in Karnataka.
Sources in the I-T department said the tax department had conducted the raids yesterday after it received an input about the presence of Rs 40 lakh cash at the astrologer`s two premises in Bangalore`s RT Nagar and Ashiyana extension.
"No electoral malpractice was however found in the keeping of the cash. The cash would be released after due legal procedures are completed under the provisions of the I-T Act," a senior official said.
The astrologer was regularly visited and consulted by politicians of the state and hence his premises were searched, the official added.
On the Election Commission`s instructions, I-T officials have been keeping a watch on illegal cash and other inducements meant to lure voters during the Karnataka Assembly elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'