Karnataka polls: I-T officials raid premises of astrologer, seize Rs 1.7 cr
Bangalore: Officials of Income Tax department have seized Rs 1.7 crore cash from two premises of a city-based astrologer popular with politicians in Karnataka.
Sources in the I-T department said the tax department had conducted the raids yesterday after it received an input about the presence of Rs 40 lakh cash at the astrologer`s two premises in Bangalore`s RT Nagar and Ashiyana extension.
"No electoral malpractice was however found in the keeping of the cash. The cash would be released after due legal procedures are completed under the provisions of the I-T Act," a senior official said.
The astrologer was regularly visited and consulted by politicians of the state and hence his premises were searched, the official added.
On the Election Commission`s instructions, I-T officials have been keeping a watch on illegal cash and other inducements meant to lure voters during the Karnataka Assembly elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read