Karnataka polls: I-T officials raid premises of astrologer, seize Rs 1.7 cr
Bangalore: Officials of Income Tax department have seized Rs 1.7 crore cash from two premises of a city-based astrologer popular with politicians in Karnataka.
Sources in the I-T department said the tax department had conducted the raids yesterday after it received an input about the presence of Rs 40 lakh cash at the astrologer`s two premises in Bangalore`s RT Nagar and Ashiyana extension.
"No electoral malpractice was however found in the keeping of the cash. The cash would be released after due legal procedures are completed under the provisions of the I-T Act," a senior official said.
The astrologer was regularly visited and consulted by politicians of the state and hence his premises were searched, the official added.
On the Election Commission`s instructions, I-T officials have been keeping a watch on illegal cash and other inducements meant to lure voters during the Karnataka Assembly elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Seoul, Washington start war game despite Pyongyang's backlash
- Manjula Chellur sworn-in as Chief Justice of Bombay High Court
- Gionee S6s smartphone with 8MP front camera launched at Rs 17,999
- Karisma Kapoor just shared a major throwback picture with sister Kareena and we LOVE IT!
- Fungi show green way to recycle batteries