Karnataka polls: I-T officials raid premises of astrologer, seize Rs 1.7 cr
Bangalore: Officials of Income Tax department have seized Rs 1.7 crore cash from two premises of a city-based astrologer popular with politicians in Karnataka.
Sources in the I-T department said the tax department had conducted the raids yesterday after it received an input about the presence of Rs 40 lakh cash at the astrologer`s two premises in Bangalore`s RT Nagar and Ashiyana extension.
"No electoral malpractice was however found in the keeping of the cash. The cash would be released after due legal procedures are completed under the provisions of the I-T Act," a senior official said.
The astrologer was regularly visited and consulted by politicians of the state and hence his premises were searched, the official added.
On the Election Commission`s instructions, I-T officials have been keeping a watch on illegal cash and other inducements meant to lure voters during the Karnataka Assembly elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days