Rs 10 crore cash, 42,000 litres liquors seized in Karnataka ahead of polls
Bangalore: More than Rs 10 crore in cash and 42,000 litres of liquor have been seized in poll-bound Karnataka by Election Commission appointed surveillance teams.
The special teams have also seized other items worth Rs 1.52 crore after they were suspected to be used to lure voters, a senior official involved in the operation said.
"The total cash seizure till now is Rs 10.02 crore while a total of 42,160 litres of illegal liquor have been seized in the poll-bound state," he said.
EC has deputed a team of Income Tax department officers and other state government officials along with state police to keep a tab on illegal cash, liquor and inducements suspected to be used in the state which will vote on May 5.
EC has also asked the state Election Commission to regularly update its office in New Delhi about any large case of suspicious movement or interception of cash in its efforts to curb misuse of money power in the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account