Siddaramaiah ahead in race for Karnataka CM`s post
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Siddaramaiah appears to be emerging as the frontrunner for the Chief Minister`s post in Karnataka ahead of the visit of AICC observers to Bangalore to elect a new leader of the party`s legislature group.
With Congress securing a comfortable majority in the southern state, central leaders are speaking of the possibility of an MLA becoming the new CLP leader who will become the Chief Minister.
Siddaramaiah is the Leader of the Opposition in the outgoing assembly who has secured an easy win from his pocketborough of Varuna.
A backward class leader who joined Congress six years ago, Siddaramaiah has already said he was "one of the strong contenders" but has left the decision on chief ministership to the Congress high command and the legislature party.
Reports from Bangalore had it that the race now seems to have narrowed down between Siddaramaiah and Union Minister and party veteran M Mallikarjuna Kharge. Kharge is an MP and so also Union Minister M Veerapa Moily who is also an aspirant.
Congress is sending four AICC observers led by A K Antony to Karnataka tomorrow to elicit the views of newly-elected party MLAs on the issue of Chief Ministership.
Besides Antony, the other Central observers are AICC general secretary in-charge of the state Madhusudan Mistri, Luizinho Faleiro, who was Karnatataka`s candidates screening committee chairman, and Union Minister Jitendra Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!