Siddaramaiah joins race for Karnataka CM`s post
Bangalore: Making no bones about his ambition, Leader of Opposition Congress in the outgoing Assembly Siddaramaiah on Wednesday declared himself as a "strong contender" for the chief minister`s post, as his party dethroned the BJP and was set to form the government.
"I am one of the strong contenders," Siddaramaiah, who is facing a challenge from other chief ministerial aspirants KPCC chief G Parameshwara and Union Minister Mallikarjun Kharge told reporters.
Siddaramaiah, a backward class leader, said the decision on chief ministership was, however, left to the Congress high command and the legislature party.
On the electoral outcome, he said the people had given the mandate to the Congress as they wanted a "stable and clean" government and were not in favour of a coalition.
Siddaramaiah said the defeat was a "big lesson" to the BJP which was allegedly involved in "corruption, misgovernance and non-performance."
To questions, he said the Rahul factor had also played a role in the Congress` victory and there was "no Modi magic".
He also credited the victory to the "good governance" provided by the UPA led by Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'