Cauvery water row: Events as they unfolded on Tuesday
The violence in the Cauvery water dispute claimed its second life on Tuesday. PM Modi expressed pain over the attacks and appealed for calm.
The Chennai police today cautioned against circulating "false information" on social media on the Cauvery issue and warned of appropriate legal action against offenders.
Police said it has come to notice in the last two days that some "miscreants" were attempting to promote enmity and hatred with an intention to incite violence, by "posting false information in the social media relating to incidents in Karnataka over the Cauvery issue".
"Such acts are considered as serious offences under penal laws and offenders will be prosecuted accordingly. Stringent legal action has already been initiated against such miscreants who had committed such acts," a city police release said.
Puducherry Pradesh Congress committee today asked the Karnataka government to take stern action against those indulging in violence and vandalism over Cauvery water issue. A meeting of the executive committee of the PCC adopted several resolutions including one on the Cauvery issue.
The resolution said "the current extraordinary situation in Karnataka on Cauvery water issue has come to cause concern. Innocent Tamils have been attacked and their properties are damaged." It requested the Karnataka government to take stern measures against 'perpetrators of violence' and ensure that Tamils were provided appropriate protection.
In the backdrop of violence in Bengaluru and other parts of Karnataka over the Cauvery water issue, the Hyderabad police today issued advisory to TV channels asking them not to air visuals pertaining to the violence, which may potentially create law and order problem.
"It has been brought to the notice of the Authorised Officer under The Cable TV Networks ( Regulation) Act 1995, that visuals having huge potential for inciting mob violence which relate to the ongoing violence in Bangalore (Bengaluru) city are being transmitted/retransmitted through the Cable TV Networks in Hyderabad city," the police said in a statement, as per PTI.
- Indian Army destroys Pakistani military posts to prevent infiltration
- Revealed - The truth behind Rajiv Gandhi's assassination
- Amarnath Yatra: High-level security meet held in Delhi
- Delhi: BSP leader, family murdered by business partner
- Political backing has increased the scope of operations on LoC: General Bikram Singh
- Vishu Bumper 2017: Kerala lottery result declared; winner gets Rs 4 crore as first prize - Check winning ticket numbers here
- Vivek Oberoi's gift to acid attack survivor Lalita Benbansi on her wedding day will melt your heart!
- Pakistani posts destroyed by Indian Army in Naushera sector - Watch Video
- Manchester terror attack: As it happened
- Megresults.nic.in, mbose.in SSLC 10th Results 2017 MOBSE: Meghalaya board Tura Class 10th (X) SSLC Results 2017 to be announced today soon