Demonetisation debate in Parliament: As it happened on Thursday
New Delhi: Opposition on Thursday paralysed Parliament, with Rajya Sabha disrupted over demand for the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his response in the demonetisation debate, which the government rejected outright.
Union Minister and senior BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu takes strong objection to Azad's statement, says the Leader of Opposition is insulting the nation by comparing demonetisation with terror attacks. Naidu asks the Congress leader to apologise.
News agency ANI quotes Azad as saying Pakistani terrorists did not kill even half of our people in Uri terror attack than those who have died due to the government's wrong policy.
Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, Ghulam Nabi Azad, says the House will not function until PM Modi comes for discussion.
Rajya Sabha resumes. Opposition MPs remain defiant in their demand for PM Modi's statement on demonestisation.
Massive ruckus in both Upper House and Lower House.
Opposition MPs rush to Well of the HOuse in Rajya Sabha.
Rajya Sabha adjourned till 12 noon. The second adjournment came when many DMK and Congress members gathered near the Chairman`s podium and raised slogans against the government. The MPs demanded Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s presence in the house.
Uproar in Parliament, Around 21 adjournment notices submitted by the Opposition.
Rajya Sabha adjourned till 11:30 AM after uproar in the house over demonetisation issue.
Coming down hard at the Centre, JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav says government has created an anarchy by demonetisation of Rs 500/1000 notes as everything has come to a standstill.
"Modi government should accept the demand of opposition for JPC on demonetisation of currency notes as being alleged that the decision was selectively leaked," Sharad Yadav tweets.
"It looks like anarchy in d country especially in villages after demonetization. I am afraid that this may lead to law & order problems," the JD(U) leader's another tweet says.
- PM Modi launches first Udan flight from Shimla to Delhi
- AAP's Sanjay Singh resigns as Punjab incharge after Delhi rout
- Watch - Canadian woman stuck on crane being rescued by Toronto firefighter!
- Cricketer Gautam Gambhir to bear expenses of Sukma martyrs' children
- UP: Muslim woman gets triple talaq via speed post in Amroha
- 7th Pay Commission allowances: Panel submits report to FM Jaitley; govt employees set to get HRA hike of up to 178%
- CGBSE Class 12 Board Result 2017: Chhattisgarh Board Higher Secondary Class 12 Results declared. Check cgbse.nic.in, results.cg.nic.in
- JEE Main Result 2017 to be declared today; check jeemain.nic.in and cbseresults.nic.in
- CGBSE Class 12 Board Result 2017: Chhattisgarh Board Higher Secondary Class 12 Results to be declared today at cgbse.nic.in
- IPL 2017: Ravindra Jadeja rocket throw shocks Virat Kohli's RCB, sends dangerous AB de Villiers back — MUST WATCH