Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Puducherry Assembly Elections 2016: As it happened
New Delhi: Millions of people on Monday voted for Assembly elections in Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Puducherry. Polling to 232 Assembly seats in Tamil Nadu that will decide the fate of over 3700 candidates, including chief minister J Jayalalithaa and DMK chief M Karunanidhi, commenced today at 7 am. Though Tamil Nadu has 234 assembly seats across 32 districts, polling took place today only for 232 as the Election Commission has postponed it for May 23 in Aravakurichi and Thanjavur segments following complaints of voters being bribed. Here are the LIVE updates:
"Heavy rains reported at in few parts including coastal regions of Nagapattinam and Cuddalore district. Have asked district collectors over extending poll time in rain-affected districts and then we'll inform the ECI, decision to be taken after 3 pm," says Rajesh Lahoni, Chief Electoral Officer Tamil Nadu.
- Monsoon in India: Scores killed in floods, landslides
- Easy to stir mountain but not our army: China's threat to India on Doklam standoff
- Watch: Ram Nath Kovind sworn in as India's 14th President
- This is going to be new house of Pranab Mukherjee
- Watch: How floods cause complete mayhem in several parts of the country
- Former ISRO Chief UR Rao, man behind India's 1st satellite Aryabhatta, dies
- After Sonu Nigam, singer Suchitra Krishnamoorthi tweets about Azaan and loudspeakers
- DSP Ayub Pandith lynching: Main accused killed in encounter, 20 other arrested, informs IG Kashmir
- Abu Dhabi hospital confirms Eman Ahmed's weight loss, says she's 65 kilos lighter!
- Ram Nath Kovind all set to swear-in as 14th President of India: Here's the list of guests and ceremony details