11 tribal girls in Andhra Pradesh hostel allege sexual abuse by tutor
Hyderabad: Eleven minor tribal girls residing in a students` hostel run by an NGO in Nalgonda district of Andhra Pradesh, have alleged sexual assault by their tutor for the past five months, police said on Saturday.
According to Nalgonda Superintendent of Police T Prabhakar Rao, a case was yesterday registered against accused R Harish following a complaint by the victims.
Harish, who was appointed by the NGO management was also staying in the same hostel in Enemeedha Tanda under Tungaturthy Gram Panchayat, where the abuse happened. He allegedly threatened the girls and sexually abused them, a police official said.
As many as 78 students comprising boys and girls are staying in the hostel.
"Harish was on leave for three days last week, when girls came out and informed their kin about their trauma. We immediately swung into action and sent the girls for medical examination. All the children are below 13 years of age. We formed special teams to catch the accused," Rao told a news agency.
However, sources in the department said that police have already nabbed Harish and are questioning him.
The couple -- Srinivas and Sarita-- who are running the NGO will also be questioned on any violations in running the hostel, the police official said.
As of now, a case under relevant sections of protection of children from sexual assault besides cheating, has been registered, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM