11 undertrial prisoners escape from AP mental hospital; 7 held
Hyderabad: Atleast 11 undertrial prisoners undergoing treatment for mental sickness at the Institute of Mental Health in Eragadda here escaped from the prisoners ward of the mental hospital even as seven of them were nabbed later from different parts of the city, police said today.
The incident occurred last night when a prisoner Qureshi, facing cases under NDPS Act and other sections of IPC and lodged at the Chanchalguda Jail (who was recently shifted to the hospital for mental sickness) made a hole in the wall of the ward using a medical equipment and slipped out and fled along with some others, they said.
Soon police swung into action and special teams caught seven of them. A hunt has been launched to nab the remaining four prisoners, Deputy Commissioner of Police (West Zone) V Satyanarayana said.
"He (Qureshi) was angry after not being permitted to meet his second wife last night as part of `mulaqat` and resorted to this act," the DCP said.
A hospital official said "Since the day he was admitted in the hospital he behaved violently and regularly threatened the doctors, nurses, hospital staff and even police personnel deployed on duty over `mulaqat` timings."
Yesterday night, Qureshi`s second wife came visiting him at around 8 pm and as it was beyond the permission time of the mulaqat, she was not allowed to meet him.
"Angered, Qureshi closed the ward from inside and threatened other patients with a cable wire. As the situation was getting out of hand we informed the S R Nagar police," he said adding in the meanwhile, Qureshi made a hole in the wall and escaped along with some others.
Out of 11 undertrial prisoners who had escaped, two including Qureshi were lodged in Chanchalguda Jail here while others were from Warangal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow