11 undertrial prisoners escape from AP mental hospital; 7 held
Hyderabad: Atleast 11 undertrial prisoners undergoing treatment for mental sickness at the Institute of Mental Health in Eragadda here escaped from the prisoners ward of the mental hospital even as seven of them were nabbed later from different parts of the city, police said today.
The incident occurred last night when a prisoner Qureshi, facing cases under NDPS Act and other sections of IPC and lodged at the Chanchalguda Jail (who was recently shifted to the hospital for mental sickness) made a hole in the wall of the ward using a medical equipment and slipped out and fled along with some others, they said.
Soon police swung into action and special teams caught seven of them. A hunt has been launched to nab the remaining four prisoners, Deputy Commissioner of Police (West Zone) V Satyanarayana said.
"He (Qureshi) was angry after not being permitted to meet his second wife last night as part of `mulaqat` and resorted to this act," the DCP said.
A hospital official said "Since the day he was admitted in the hospital he behaved violently and regularly threatened the doctors, nurses, hospital staff and even police personnel deployed on duty over `mulaqat` timings."
Yesterday night, Qureshi`s second wife came visiting him at around 8 pm and as it was beyond the permission time of the mulaqat, she was not allowed to meet him.
"Angered, Qureshi closed the ward from inside and threatened other patients with a cable wire. As the situation was getting out of hand we informed the S R Nagar police," he said adding in the meanwhile, Qureshi made a hole in the wall and escaped along with some others.
Out of 11 undertrial prisoners who had escaped, two including Qureshi were lodged in Chanchalguda Jail here while others were from Warangal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note