11 undertrial prisoners escape from AP mental hospital; 7 held
Hyderabad: Atleast 11 undertrial prisoners undergoing treatment for mental sickness at the Institute of Mental Health in Eragadda here escaped from the prisoners ward of the mental hospital even as seven of them were nabbed later from different parts of the city, police said today.
The incident occurred last night when a prisoner Qureshi, facing cases under NDPS Act and other sections of IPC and lodged at the Chanchalguda Jail (who was recently shifted to the hospital for mental sickness) made a hole in the wall of the ward using a medical equipment and slipped out and fled along with some others, they said.
Soon police swung into action and special teams caught seven of them. A hunt has been launched to nab the remaining four prisoners, Deputy Commissioner of Police (West Zone) V Satyanarayana said.
"He (Qureshi) was angry after not being permitted to meet his second wife last night as part of `mulaqat` and resorted to this act," the DCP said.
A hospital official said "Since the day he was admitted in the hospital he behaved violently and regularly threatened the doctors, nurses, hospital staff and even police personnel deployed on duty over `mulaqat` timings."
Yesterday night, Qureshi`s second wife came visiting him at around 8 pm and as it was beyond the permission time of the mulaqat, she was not allowed to meet him.
"Angered, Qureshi closed the ward from inside and threatened other patients with a cable wire. As the situation was getting out of hand we informed the S R Nagar police," he said adding in the meanwhile, Qureshi made a hole in the wall and escaped along with some others.
Out of 11 undertrial prisoners who had escaped, two including Qureshi were lodged in Chanchalguda Jail here while others were from Warangal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued