119 mandals in Andhra Pradesh declared drought-hit
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Government on Friday declared 119 mandals (tehsils) in seven districts as affected by drought during the 2013 kharif season, taking into consideration the deficient rainfall and other parameters like crop loss.
A 10-member committee comprising top officials analysed the dry spells between June and September 2013, drop in cropped area, reduction in crop yields and other parameters and found 119 mandals eligible for classification as drought- affected.
Accordingly, the Disaster Management Department issued an order today declaring 59 mandals in Anantapuram district, 33 in Chittoor, 16 in Kadapa, five in Vizianagaram, three in Mahbubnagar, two in Medak and one mandal in Nalgonda as drought-hit in the last kharif season.
Disaster Management Commissioner C Parthasarathi, in his order, directed the respective District Collectors to take necessary action so as to enable farmers to avail of fresh credit and take up relief operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack