119 mandals in Andhra Pradesh declared drought-hit
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Government on Friday declared 119 mandals (tehsils) in seven districts as affected by drought during the 2013 kharif season, taking into consideration the deficient rainfall and other parameters like crop loss.
A 10-member committee comprising top officials analysed the dry spells between June and September 2013, drop in cropped area, reduction in crop yields and other parameters and found 119 mandals eligible for classification as drought- affected.
Accordingly, the Disaster Management Department issued an order today declaring 59 mandals in Anantapuram district, 33 in Chittoor, 16 in Kadapa, five in Vizianagaram, three in Mahbubnagar, two in Medak and one mandal in Nalgonda as drought-hit in the last kharif season.
Disaster Management Commissioner C Parthasarathi, in his order, directed the respective District Collectors to take necessary action so as to enable farmers to avail of fresh credit and take up relief operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Being obese can cause 13 types of cancer, say scientists
- All you want to know about Krishna Janmashtami: Muhurat, puja vidhi and timings!
- Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire from international cricket after 3rd ODI, two T20Is against Australia
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September