12 held in illegal arms procurement
Hyderabad: City police on Monday nabbed an ex-
service man and 11 armed private security personnel belonging
to Uttar Pradesh and Bihar on charge of illegally possessing
firearms procured through fake arms licenses.
The ex-army man T Prakash Babu, who runs a private
security agency here and provides armed security guards to
different private security agencies, has been apprehended
along with 11 private security guards, Hyderabad Police
Commissioner A K Khan told reporters here.
Taskforce sleuths seized 35 guns and 38 live rounds from
them that were procured through fake armed licenses, he said.
Prakash Babu earlier worked as a Special Police Officer
(SPO) in 2008 and after leaving the job established a security
agency `Protection Management Services` and was outsourcing 60
armed security guards to other security agencies after taking
commissions from them, the senior police officer said.
During enquiry it has been revealed that most of the
armed security personnel outsourced by Babu were possessing
weapons that were obtained through fake arms licenses, Khan
said, adding none of these weapons were registered with
Hyderabad City Police.
Special teams have left for Bihar and Uttar Pradesh to
obtain recorded evidence. There are around 4,000 arms license
holders in Hyderabad and police has already launched
verification process and issued showcause notices besides
cancelling arms licenses in certain cases, he said.
Khan said weapon holders under the sports category were
also under scanner and thorough checking of the issuance
certificates is on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown