12 killed in rain-related incidents in AP; crops submerged
Hyderabad: Twelve people were killed and crops in about 60,000 hectares submerged due to heavy rains lashing Andhra Pradesh for about a week now.
The Government has announced compensation of about Rs 2 lakh each to the kin of the deceased as per applicable norms, officials said.
They said 53 relief camps, providing shelter to 8,361 people, remained open.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy reviewed the situation with Ministers N Raghuveera Reddy, A Ramanarayana Reddy, Chief Secretary PK Mohanty and other officials here.
He directed the officials to start relief camps wherever necessary and continue air-dropping of food packets, supply of drinking water and medicines among other measures, the officials said.
A dozen persons died in rain-related incidents in different parts of the state, they said, adding the worst affected districts include Khammam, East and West Godavari, Karimnagar, Warangal and Nizamabad.
Two helicopters have reached Bhadrachalam in Khammam district for relief operations and other chopper to East Godavari district.
In addition to seven teams of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), an additional team is being sent to rain-affected West Godavari district, they said.
Standing cotton, soyabean, maize, paddy and pulses crops in as many as 59,878 hectares have been submerged and about 240 minor irrigation water tanks have suffered damage.
Power supply has been restored to 480 villages out of 884 affected villages.
As per the Met department, heavy to very heavy rain would occur at isolated places in coastal Andhra and some Telangana districts during the next 48 hours.
Meanwhile, in Rajahmundry, East Godavari Collector Neetu Kumari Prasad said 4,035 people were shifted to 23 relief camps in the district.
"So far 4,035 people have been shifted to 23 relief camps in the district. Around 17,100 food packets and 29,902 water and milk packets have been supplied people living in these camps," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- VIDEO! Lionel Messi wins UEFA 'Goal of the Season' award for scoring this beauty
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's mushy love in 'Baar Baar Dekho' new still is just so aww!
- Bodo outfits to restart statehood movement on August 30
- 92 paise insurance premium for train travellers from August 31
- Saina Nehwal drops four places to be no.9, status quo for PV Sindhu