1,300 people shifted as river Godavari level rises in Andhra Pradesh
Rajahmundry: Over 1,300 people have been shifted to rehabilitation camps in East Godavari district after water level of Godavari river at Dowleswaram barrage rose alarmingly following heavy rains.
The second flood alert in the district was issued yesterday, an official said.
District collector Neetu Kumar Prasad, and other senior administrative and police officials were visiting the flood-affected areas in the district today and measures have been initiated to prevent further damage, including of roads, which were severely affected by heavy rains.
Over 17 lakh cusec water discharged to sea as Godavari at Dowleswaram was receiving heavy inflows due to rains in the catchment areas.
"We are monitoring the situation at Dowleswaram. Officials are taking stock of the situation and checking various irrigation sources situated in the district. The Godavari and its tributaries Gouthami, Vashita Godavari and other rivers are in spate," the official said.
Due to this, the low-lying villages in Polavaram are severely affected, he said.
Over 1,300 persons were shifted to various relief camps about 700 from Konaseema and 600 from Devipatnam agency area and other places.
The relief and rehabilitation works are in full swing in the district.
Rampachodavaram sub-collector Gandham Chandrudu said that mechanised and country made-boats were pressed into service in the agency area of Devipatnam and other places to shift the people to relief camps.
The roads were submerged in the agency areas and traffic was severely affected.
The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) was assisting the administration in shifting the people to safer places and meet the needs of the flood-affected people, he said, adding that the tourists were not being allowed to visit Devipatnam due to flood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda