15-year-old girl saved from wedlock
Vijayawada: A 15-year-old girl, whose parents had arranged her wedding on Sunday, was saved from being married off after government officials reached the venue and prevented the ceremony.
On getting information about a minor girl`s marriage being arranged, the officials of government-run Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) reached the venue at Balajinagar in the city today and took the girl under their protection, ICDS, Vijayawada, project director K Krishna Kumari said.
The girl would be handed over to her parents only after they give a written statement that they would not marry her off till she turns major, Kumari said.
If the parents again try to get the girl married, criminal proceedings would be initiated against them and the minor would be provided full protection by the ICDS, the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon