16 Lankan fishermen arrested for fishing in Indian waters
Chennai: Sixteen Sri Lankan fishermen were on Friday arrested by Indian Coast Guard off Krishnapatnam coast in Andhra Pradesh for allegedly fishing in Indian waters.
The arrest comes with a month after 20 Sri Lankan fishermen were arrested near Tuticorin.
In a sea-air coordinated operation, involving two Coast Guard ships ICGS Vishwast and ICGS Rani Avanthibai and a Dornier aircraft, the Lankan fishermen on board three boats were arrested off Krishnapatnam coast, an official release said.
The fishermen and their boats have been booked under the Maritime Zones of India Act, 1981.
Two boats are being taken to Chennai, while the other is being taken to Kakinada for handing over the fishermen to the local police, it said.
The 20 Lankan fishermen were arrested on October 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth