16 Lankan fishermen arrested for fishing in Indian waters
Chennai: Sixteen Sri Lankan fishermen were on Friday arrested by Indian Coast Guard off Krishnapatnam coast in Andhra Pradesh for allegedly fishing in Indian waters.
The arrest comes with a month after 20 Sri Lankan fishermen were arrested near Tuticorin.
In a sea-air coordinated operation, involving two Coast Guard ships ICGS Vishwast and ICGS Rani Avanthibai and a Dornier aircraft, the Lankan fishermen on board three boats were arrested off Krishnapatnam coast, an official release said.
The fishermen and their boats have been booked under the Maritime Zones of India Act, 1981.
Two boats are being taken to Chennai, while the other is being taken to Kakinada for handing over the fishermen to the local police, it said.
The 20 Lankan fishermen were arrested on October 10.
- Soil from grave of World War-I hero, Risaldar Badlu Singh, brought to India by BJP minister
- 'Sighed with relief only after Osama Bin Laden's body reached Afghanistan' - Barack Obama in candid interview
- Sony launches water-resistant SRS-XB3 portable wireless speakers at Rs 12,990
- Check nbsenagaland.com, nagaland.gov.in for Nagaland HSLC (Class 10) Result 2016
- Rahul Gandhi as UP CM? Twitteratis had a blast