16 Lankan fishermen arrested for fishing in Indian waters
Chennai: Sixteen Sri Lankan fishermen were on Friday arrested by Indian Coast Guard off Krishnapatnam coast in Andhra Pradesh for allegedly fishing in Indian waters.
The arrest comes with a month after 20 Sri Lankan fishermen were arrested near Tuticorin.
In a sea-air coordinated operation, involving two Coast Guard ships ICGS Vishwast and ICGS Rani Avanthibai and a Dornier aircraft, the Lankan fishermen on board three boats were arrested off Krishnapatnam coast, an official release said.
The fishermen and their boats have been booked under the Maritime Zones of India Act, 1981.
Two boats are being taken to Chennai, while the other is being taken to Kakinada for handing over the fishermen to the local police, it said.
The 20 Lankan fishermen were arrested on October 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!