166 in fray for 10 Assembly, 2 Lok Sabha seats in Kadapa district in Andhra
Kadapa: As many as 143 candidates are left in the fray for 10 Assembly seats and 23 for two Lok Sabha constituencies in Kadapa district of Andhra Pradesh which will go to the polls on May 7.
On the final day of withdrawal of nominations today, 44 candidates opted out of race in Assembly seats and nine in Lok Sabha constituencies, election office sources said.
The two Lok Sabha seats - Kadapa and Rajampeta - have 14 and nine nominees respectively.
S Ramachandra Reddy, who filed his nominaiton as the candidate of Kiran Kumar Reddy-led Jai Samaikyaandhra Party (JSP) from Kadapa Assembly segment, has withdrawn from race.
Ramachandra had actively participated in Samykyandhra (united Andhra) agitation and his withdrawal from race is being seen as a major jolt for the fledlging party, which was launched by Kiran just two months ago.
Durga Prasad Rao, TDP candidate from Kadapa Assembly constituency - which was allocated to BJP as part of a tie-up between the two parites - has not withdrawn his nomination, a move which is likely to upset the saffron outfit.
TDP District President M Linga Reddy, the sitting MLA from Proddatur, and his spouse M Lakshimiprasanna have also opted out of the race.
Among the Assembly seats, the maxium candidates are in Rajampeta (20), followed by Kodur (SC), Kadapa, Kamalapuram - all 15 each - Rayachoty and Pulivendula - 14 each - Badvel and Proddatur - 13 each - Mydukur and Jammulamadugu - 12 each.
In all the Assembly and Parliamentary seats, multi- cornered fight will be witnessed between YSR congress, TDP, Congress, BJP, CPI, CPM, AAP, Lok Satta, among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH