Rajahmundry: At least 17 girls lodged at a government-run SC/ST hostel here in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh have been hospitalised for suspected food poisoning after eating contaminated food, police said on Wednesday.
The girls, all studying in Class X, were rushed to the Rajahmundry Government General hospital for treatment last night after they began vomiting and complained of loose motions and giddiness post dinner, they said.
Soon after the incident, Rajahmundry Municipal Corporation Chairman Rajani Sesha Sai visited the hospital to check on the victims and directed health officials to take all measures for their speedy recovery.
According to hospital sources, the condition of the girls is stable now.
Police have collected food samples from the hostel in Devichowk area and investigations are on.