19 killed in Tirupati lorry accident
In a tragic incident at least 19 persons died when a lorry in which they were travelling fell into a gorge near Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh on Thursday.
Eight passengers died on the spot and several others were taken to hospital with critical injuries, two of the injured died while on their way to hospital.
According to police, the lorry carrying over 45 passengers, was headed towards neighbouring Tamil Nadu state after attending a wedding.
"There was a wedding at Rampurla Mandalam in Chittoor district and the bride``s party had come from Pudunmedur near Sholingam in Tamil Nadu. After the marriage ceremony last night, the party was returning to the native place this morning when near the Karveti Nagaram turning, the driver who was over-speeding, lost control of the bus,” said Venkataiaha, a police officer.
“The vehicle overturned and fell into a ditch. 17 people died in this accident. The injured were rushed to the hospital at Puttur and just now I``ve learnt that two more died on the way. A case has been registered. After Panchnama (verification) and post-mortem, necessary action will be taken," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest