19 killed in Tirupati lorry accident
In a tragic incident at least 19 persons died when a lorry in which they were travelling fell into a gorge near Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh on Thursday.
Eight passengers died on the spot and several others were taken to hospital with critical injuries, two of the injured died while on their way to hospital.
According to police, the lorry carrying over 45 passengers, was headed towards neighbouring Tamil Nadu state after attending a wedding.
"There was a wedding at Rampurla Mandalam in Chittoor district and the bride``s party had come from Pudunmedur near Sholingam in Tamil Nadu. After the marriage ceremony last night, the party was returning to the native place this morning when near the Karveti Nagaram turning, the driver who was over-speeding, lost control of the bus,” said Venkataiaha, a police officer.
“The vehicle overturned and fell into a ditch. 17 people died in this accident. The injured were rushed to the hospital at Puttur and just now I``ve learnt that two more died on the way. A case has been registered. After Panchnama (verification) and post-mortem, necessary action will be taken," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal