19 killed in Tirupati lorry accident
In a tragic incident at least 19 persons died when a lorry in which they were travelling fell into a gorge near Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh on Thursday.
Eight passengers died on the spot and several others were taken to hospital with critical injuries, two of the injured died while on their way to hospital.
According to police, the lorry carrying over 45 passengers, was headed towards neighbouring Tamil Nadu state after attending a wedding.
"There was a wedding at Rampurla Mandalam in Chittoor district and the bride``s party had come from Pudunmedur near Sholingam in Tamil Nadu. After the marriage ceremony last night, the party was returning to the native place this morning when near the Karveti Nagaram turning, the driver who was over-speeding, lost control of the bus,” said Venkataiaha, a police officer.
“The vehicle overturned and fell into a ditch. 17 people died in this accident. The injured were rushed to the hospital at Puttur and just now I``ve learnt that two more died on the way. A case has been registered. After Panchnama (verification) and post-mortem, necessary action will be taken," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday