19 killed in Tirupati lorry accident
In a tragic incident at least 19 persons died when a lorry in which they were travelling fell into a gorge near Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh on Thursday.
Eight passengers died on the spot and several others were taken to hospital with critical injuries, two of the injured died while on their way to hospital.
According to police, the lorry carrying over 45 passengers, was headed towards neighbouring Tamil Nadu state after attending a wedding.
"There was a wedding at Rampurla Mandalam in Chittoor district and the bride``s party had come from Pudunmedur near Sholingam in Tamil Nadu. After the marriage ceremony last night, the party was returning to the native place this morning when near the Karveti Nagaram turning, the driver who was over-speeding, lost control of the bus,” said Venkataiaha, a police officer.
“The vehicle overturned and fell into a ditch. 17 people died in this accident. The injured were rushed to the hospital at Puttur and just now I``ve learnt that two more died on the way. A case has been registered. After Panchnama (verification) and post-mortem, necessary action will be taken," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Schools, colleges shut in rain-hit Karnataka district
- NT Awards 2016: Zee News wins five awards in various categories
- AAP advertising budget less than money spent on PM Modi's clothes: Arvind Kejriwal
- ''Disappointment'' over Pay Commission due to Centre's inability to rein in inflation: JD (U)
- Want to live longer? Restrict your calorie intake!