25 held for Hyderabad violence
Hyderabad: As many as 25 people were arrested so far in connection with the communal violence that erupted in the city last week, police said on Monday.
"We have arrested 25 people for violent incidents. While 16 people were picked up from Gandhi Nagar and Musheerabad police station limits, nine others were held from Mangalhat police station limits," Hyderabad Police Commissioner Anurag Sharma said.
At least four persons and two police officials were injured when two groups clashed after a youth was stabbed by unidentified assailants, prompting authorities to clamp prohibitory orders in Musheerabad police station limits on October 25.
Police had apprehended seven persons on the same day for allegedly indulging in stone pelting and damaging properties under Musheerabad police station limits.
Rioters pelted each other with stones and also damaged six vehicles including state-run RTC buses in the violence.
Meanwhile, on a spate of burglaries at temples in Old City last week, Sharma said, "efforts have been intensified to nab culprits and we are expecting a breakthrough soon.
"It seems that a particular gang is behind the break-ins at the temples and their modus-operandi appears to target temples," the police commissioner said, adding communal angle should not be attributed to these thefts.
The police chief said six teams were formed and some suspects were already being questioned in this regard. "We are hopeful of early breakthrough," he added.
At least four temples were targeted by robbers in the last one month. In the latest incident on Saturday, the unidentified gang struck the famous Mahakali temple at Uppuguda and decamped with gold and silver ornaments besides cash to the tune of several lakhs.
The incident had triggered a protest from residents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says