50,000 idols to be immersed as Ganesh festival concludes
Hyderabad: The immersion of idols at the end of the ten-day long Ganesh festival began here amid tight security arrangements.
Over 50,000 Ganesh idols of various sizes are to be immersed in the Hussain Sagar lake, the major water body in the city, and about 20 other lakes in the other parts of Hyderabad and its suburbs.
About one million people are expected to participate in the procession leading to immersion of the idols.
The Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) and Hyderabad Metropolitan Development Authority (HMDA) have made elaborate arrangements for the immersion that began this morning. The process is expected to continue till tomorrow morning.
Nearly 4,000 sanitation workers, 120 cranes and vehicles like front loaders and special vehicles are being used for immersion.
About 80 swimmers and divers with life saving jackets have also been deployed.
The process of auctioning of `laddus` offered as prasadam to the deities also began at different pandals.
The laddu of the famous pandal at Balapur village on the city`s outskirts was said to have been won for a whopping sum of Rs 9.5 lakh today against Rs 7.5 lakh last year.
The main attraction during the Ganesh festivities was the 59-feet tall idol at Khairtabad in central part of the city. A huge 4,000 kg laddu had been put on the hand of the idol using a crane.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended