608 farmers committed suicide in Karimnagar in 14 yrs
Karimnagar (AP): As many as 608 farmers have committed suicide in the district in the last 14 years, a senior district official said.
As per the data collected by Society for Eradication of Rural Poverty, "608 farmers committed suicide in Karimnagar district on one pretext or the other from July 1998 till now," Joint Collector H Arun Kumar said here yesterday.
He said the farmers mostly committed suicide due to poverty and indebtedness.
Explaining the implementation of welfare programmes for the families of those farmers who committed suicide, Kumar said there were old age pensions through District Rural Development Agency and also training and jobs to those who are eligible, under the `Rajiv Yuva Kiranalu` programme.
The motto of the government is to eliminate poverty and officials have been instructed to provide welfare schemes to the families of farmers who have ended their lives, he added.
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on