67 villagers convicted for assaulting woman over `black magic`
Sangareddy: Sixty-seven persons, including nine women, have been sentenced to five years imprisonment by a district court for attempting to murder a woman after accusing her of practicing black magic.
The accused, residents of Medchedpally village of Pedda Shankrampet mandal in Medak district, attacked a woman called Sangamma on May 31, 2009 for allegedly performing black magic.
Seeking protection, Sangamma`s husband Yellaiah approached Pedda Shankrampet police station, following which a police team led by sub-inspector Shyamsunder went to the spot.
The mob pelted stones at the police team, injuring Shyamsunder and two other policemen. Police fired eight rounds to disperse the mob and rescued Sangamma.
Police subsequently booked 67 persons for attempt to murder. Senior Civil Judge Chandrasekhar Prasad yesterday convicted all of them.
Apart from five-year jail term, fine of Rs 2,500 was also imposed on each of them.
One of the convicts, Yadagiri, is absconding while the remaining were taken into custody after the verdict and sent to Cherlapally jail in Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'