67 villagers convicted for assaulting woman over `black magic`
Sangareddy: Sixty-seven persons, including nine women, have been sentenced to five years imprisonment by a district court for attempting to murder a woman after accusing her of practicing black magic.
The accused, residents of Medchedpally village of Pedda Shankrampet mandal in Medak district, attacked a woman called Sangamma on May 31, 2009 for allegedly performing black magic.
Seeking protection, Sangamma`s husband Yellaiah approached Pedda Shankrampet police station, following which a police team led by sub-inspector Shyamsunder went to the spot.
The mob pelted stones at the police team, injuring Shyamsunder and two other policemen. Police fired eight rounds to disperse the mob and rescued Sangamma.
Police subsequently booked 67 persons for attempt to murder. Senior Civil Judge Chandrasekhar Prasad yesterday convicted all of them.
Apart from five-year jail term, fine of Rs 2,500 was also imposed on each of them.
One of the convicts, Yadagiri, is absconding while the remaining were taken into custody after the verdict and sent to Cherlapally jail in Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17