70 percent polling in Andhra rural local body polls
Hyderabad: Over 70 percent voting was recorded Sunday in the first phase of rural local body elections in Andhra Pradesh. Barring minor incidents, the polling across the state was peaceful, poll officials said.
Polling ended at 5 p.m. for 557 Zilla Parishad Territorial Constituencies (ZPTCs) and 8,250 Mandal Parishad Territorial Constituencies (MPTCs) across the state.
Enthusiasm among first-time voters and women was marked as the elections were held after a gap of seven years.
State Election Commissioner P. Ramakanth Reddy said the polling was peaceful barring minor incidents. He said the voter turnout at few places was about 80 percent.
The polling was held amid tight security at sensitive places. He reviewed the polling process, webcast live from many polling centres.
Long queues of voters were seen in the morning hours at majority of the 26,742 polling centres across 534 mandals in 22 districts.
According to the Election Commission, 4.13 crore voters are eligible to cast their votes in the panchayat elections. Half of them were covered under the first phase.
Over 95,000 police personnel, besides State Special Police and 20 companies of central paramilitary forces, are deployed to ensure peaceful polling.
The second phase of the elections to rural local bodies will be held April 11.
The state has a total of 1,096 ZPTCs and 16,589 MPTCs and the elections to these bodies are being held at the direction of the Supreme Court.
The rural body elections were being held a week after the polling to urban local bodies.
The elections to 146 municipalities and 10 municipal corporations were held last Sunday, on the direction of the state high court.
The results for both the urban and rural local body elections were scheduled to be announced this week but the Supreme Court has directed the state election commission not to declare the results before May 7 as this could impact the general elections.
The assembly and Lok Sabha election are scheduled to be held simultaneously in Andhra Pradesh in two phases April 30 and May 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now