75 Maoist militia members surrender in Andhra
Visakhapatnam: More than 75 militia members from Korukonda Area Committee of Maoists on Saturday surrendered before the Visakhapatnam rural police.
Deputy Inspector General of Police (Visakhapatnam Range) Soumya Mishra said those surrendered included eight members involved in blasting of BSNL towers at Lambasinghi in November 2011, burning of Andhra Pradesh Forest Development Corporation quarters at Cherlapalli village last December and attack on police team at Rallagedda village in February.
The surrendered Maoists are from Rallagedda, Kappa Gondi, Mulakothuru and Gunjiveedhi villages of Chintapalli mandal in the agency area of Visakhapatnam district.
They would be rehabilitated suitably, Mishra added.
Some of the surrendered militia members, including V Premsingh and V Gangaraju, told reporters that they had taken part in violent activities under duress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan