75 Maoist militia members surrender in Andhra
Visakhapatnam: More than 75 militia members from Korukonda Area Committee of Maoists on Saturday surrendered before the Visakhapatnam rural police.
Deputy Inspector General of Police (Visakhapatnam Range) Soumya Mishra said those surrendered included eight members involved in blasting of BSNL towers at Lambasinghi in November 2011, burning of Andhra Pradesh Forest Development Corporation quarters at Cherlapalli village last December and attack on police team at Rallagedda village in February.
The surrendered Maoists are from Rallagedda, Kappa Gondi, Mulakothuru and Gunjiveedhi villages of Chintapalli mandal in the agency area of Visakhapatnam district.
They would be rehabilitated suitably, Mishra added.
Some of the surrendered militia members, including V Premsingh and V Gangaraju, told reporters that they had taken part in violent activities under duress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!