75 Maoist militia members surrender in Andhra
Visakhapatnam: More than 75 militia members from Korukonda Area Committee of Maoists on Saturday surrendered before the Visakhapatnam rural police.
Deputy Inspector General of Police (Visakhapatnam Range) Soumya Mishra said those surrendered included eight members involved in blasting of BSNL towers at Lambasinghi in November 2011, burning of Andhra Pradesh Forest Development Corporation quarters at Cherlapalli village last December and attack on police team at Rallagedda village in February.
The surrendered Maoists are from Rallagedda, Kappa Gondi, Mulakothuru and Gunjiveedhi villages of Chintapalli mandal in the agency area of Visakhapatnam district.
They would be rehabilitated suitably, Mishra added.
Some of the surrendered militia members, including V Premsingh and V Gangaraju, told reporters that they had taken part in violent activities under duress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday