75 Maoist militia members surrender in Andhra
Visakhapatnam: More than 75 militia members from Korukonda Area Committee of Maoists on Saturday surrendered before the Visakhapatnam rural police.
Deputy Inspector General of Police (Visakhapatnam Range) Soumya Mishra said those surrendered included eight members involved in blasting of BSNL towers at Lambasinghi in November 2011, burning of Andhra Pradesh Forest Development Corporation quarters at Cherlapalli village last December and attack on police team at Rallagedda village in February.
The surrendered Maoists are from Rallagedda, Kappa Gondi, Mulakothuru and Gunjiveedhi villages of Chintapalli mandal in the agency area of Visakhapatnam district.
They would be rehabilitated suitably, Mishra added.
Some of the surrendered militia members, including V Premsingh and V Gangaraju, told reporters that they had taken part in violent activities under duress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’