9 get lifer for minor’s gangrape in Andhra
Khammam (AP): A local court has sentenced
nine persons, including a student, to life imprisonment for
the gangrape of a minor girl and circulation of the incident`s
video footage near here in 2007.
Five other accused were also found guilty by Additional
Sessions Judge at Kothagudem fast-track court Vijayalakshmi,
who awarded 10 year jail term to one of them and five years
each to the remaining.
Raj Kamal, then a 19-year-old student, is among those
handed out life imprisonment.
The judgement came last week.
While nine accused were involved in the gangrape, the
others circulated photographs and video footage of the crime
to a local cable operator, according to the prosecution.
The incident took place in 2007 after which the accused
used the snaps to blackmail the victim, then 17-year-old, and
her family, it said.
A formal case was lodged by the victim with Kothagudem
police station in January 2009 and in the same month all the
accused were arrested.
The girl was later counselled and rehabilitated by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department
- UK PM Cameron says EU referendum turnout is greatest concern for 'In'
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use