94% of rape victims in Hyd were known to the accu
Hyderabad: Total number of crimes reported in Hyderabad city rose to 16,776 in 2012 compared to 16,112 cases in last year, a top police officer said Saturday.
"While offences like murder for gain, murder, chain-snatching, automobile theft, kidnapping, cyber crime are on decreasing trend crimes like rape, attempt to murder, dacoity, robbery have gone up slightly," Police Commissioner Anurag Sharma told reporters at the annual press conference here.
During 2012, rape cases increased under Hyderabad Police Commissionerate limits even though the overall incidence of crime against women came down, he said.
"As many as 1,663 cases of crime against women were reported as compared to 1,726 instances last year," Sharma said, adding the number of rape cases registered in 2012 rose to 68 as against 54 in 2011. "It was found that the accused in 64 cases were known to the victims as their relatives, friends and close acquaintance", he added.
Sharma said police would further intensify the special drive against eve-teasers this year with as many as 1,833 rogues having been caught from different parts of the city.
"Series of incidents of communal disturbances were reported in Old City and other parts of Hyderabad during April besides in October and November this year and police have booked 121 cases and arrested 146 accused", he said.
As many 47 temple theft cases were reported, however, police managed to detect 25 cases and arrested 17 accused, the top cop said.
Due to intensified efforts made by Hyderabad City Police in its drive against narcotics, 27 cases of drug peddling were registered in 2012 wherein 60 accused were apprehended including 12 foreign nationals, according to Sharma.
He said cheating cases saw a sharp rise from 1,506 to 1,906 this year. Similarly, cases of dacoity increased to 11 from 7, though, the number of cyber crime cases dropped from 74 in 2011 to 47 this year.
Sharma said a special recruitment drive would be taken up to fill 3,800 vacancies of all ranks in Hyderabad City Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir