96-year-old Telangana activist on ‘satyagraha’
New Delhi: 96-year-old Acharya Konda Lakshman
Bapuji, who ended his week-long hunger strike in Delhi
demanding a separate Telangana state, on Monday said he will rope
in more freedom fighters from the region to continue his
"A meeting of the Telangana freedom fighters will be held
in Hyderabad on November 10 to decide the future course of
action," he told reporters here at Jantar Mantar where his
week-long Satyagraha draws to a close.
Bapuji, a 1969 pro-Telangana agitation leader accompanied
by other freedom fighters and prominent leaders from the
Telangana region, sat on a week-long satyagraha from November
1 to demand that the central government "honour its
commitment" towards Telangana.
Claiming that this was "not the end", he stated that a
core committee will soon be formed to chalk out a strategy to
carry forward his `Save democracy Satyagraha` at various
"We will launch satyagraha in Parliament in its ensuing
winter session. Why should the government be allowed to
function if they don`t agree with the decision of the
majority?" he said.
Asked whether he would ask Rahul Gandhi to intervene,
Bapuji said, "I will be glad if Rahul plays an important role
in honouring commitments made by the central government. But
we as freedom fighters will not beg anybody."
On Home Minister P Chidambaram`s statement made last month
that a solution for Telangana issue will be given after Eid,
he said, "People don`t believe the government why should I?
Congress is evasive. One minister from the government says
after Eid, another says by January the issue will be resolved,
whom should we believe?"
Comparing their agitation with Hazare`s movement, he said,
"Anna`s movement was to curb corruption, ours is to curb
`avniti`. Our Satyagraha is against bribery as well as
misconduct by not honouring commitments made."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre