AAP has not approached activist to field him in LS polls
Chennai: Aam Aadmi Party on Thursday it has not approached anti-nuclear activist S P Uthayakumar to field him as a candidate in coming Lok Sabha elections and described his meeting with senior leader Prashant Bhushan`s recent as an "informal" one.
"AAP has not approached him," party`s National Executive Committee Member and Tamil Nadu State Convener, Christina Samy told reporters here.
She was responding to a question on Bhushan`s recent visit to Idinthakarai, the heart of anti-nuclear protests against the Kudankulam Nuclear plant, and whether AAP had approached Uthayakumar to field him in the elections.
Another senior leader of the party, Admiral Ramdas said "as of now Uthayakumar is not a candidate," adding, a four- tier structure including people`s response to a proposed candidate based on his credentials, was in place for this purpose.
Uthayakumar was an acquaintance of Bhushan and it was an "informal meeting" the duo had had on December 29 when the Delhi-based leader addressed members of Peoples Movement Against Nuclear Energy at Idinthakarai, Samy added.
"He was on his own," she said in response to a query if Bhushan had met Uthayakumar on AAP`s behalf.
Bhushan had visited Idinthakarai on December 29 and extended his party`s support to PMANE in its ongoing agitation against the Indo-Russian project.
The party will field candidates in Tamil Nadu in the coming elections and the state unit of AAP was not in alliance talks with any parties, Samy said.
A total of 42,000 persons had enrolled in AAP in Tamil Nadu.
To a question, she said six persons have been suspended for "going against policies and code of conduct of AAP," but did not elaborate.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram