Abdul Karim Telgi, 5 others awarded 4 yrs RI
Hyderabad: Fake stamp paper scam kingpin
Abdul Karim Telgi and five others were on Friday sentenced to
four-years rigorous imprisonment by a special CBI court here
after they pleaded guilty in the case.
Judge V Raghunath Rao pronounced the terms for Telgi,
P Abdul Waheed, Thomas Jacob, Badruddin K Jamadar, B Sadasiva
and K Mohd Yousuf after they pleaded guilty on charges under
section of 120-B of Indian Penal Code (IPC) pertaining to
criminal conspiracy and under sections 258 (Sale and
circulation of fake stamps), 260 (possession of fake stamps)
and 420 (cheating) of IPC , with fine of Rs 500 each.
The judge, however, dropped charges under IPC section
255 dealing with counterfeiting (printing) of government stamp
papers against Telgi on the grounds of lack of material
The court also found them guilty under section 69 (B)
of Indian Stamp Act and imposed sentences of six months simple
imprisonment. All the sentences will run concurrently.
The judge in his orders also directed that the remand
period if any undergone by all the accused is set off under
section 428 CrPC.
Telgi, currently lodged in a Bangalore jail, was
brought by an escort police party of Karnataka and produced in
the court on January 20, which posted the case for framing of
The CBI had filed a charge sheet in the court against
Telgi and five others after the case was transferred to the
agency by Hyderabad Police in 2004.
After all the accused pleaded guilty, the judge
considered the plea of the accused as voluntarily.
Considering the "humiliation" undergone by the accused
and their families for so many years the judge V Raghunath Rao
observed "They (accused) are in jails for over five years and
when they are in jail, definitely it is humiliation for them
and humiliation for their families. So, they are entitled for
Meanwhile, counsel for Telgi and other accused
Malleshwar Rao told PTI "We went for plead bargaining and
sought for removal of IPC section 255 which results in life
"If my clients had contested the case they might have
got acquittal but the case would have run at least next five
years and hence, they decided to plead the guilt which is
beneficial for them. Except Telgi others can walk free soon,
subject to if no other case is pending against them in other
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in