ACB registers more cases in AP liquor scam
Hyderabad: The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) has registered more cases in connection with the `massive irregularities` being unearthed during its ongoing probe into the liquor auctions conducted in Andhra Pradesh.
The agency has registered six more cases regarding the fraud (like traders having liquor licenses in name of PDS card holders), allegedly committed in auction of liquor shops in the districts of Srikakulam, East Godavari, Nellore, Chittoor, Kadapa and Kurnool.
A division bench of the Andhra Pradesh High Court yesterday expressed displeasure over the manner in which the liquor auctions were being conducted in the state.
The ACB probe has created a stir in the state with the instances of the involvement of some bigwigs coming to the fore.
A statement issued by ACB in this regard today said that though the agency is aware of "financially sound people owning white ration cards" that is not the focus of the investigation. "This irregularity will be taken care of by the district administration," it said.
"ACB applied this primary filter only to initiate investigation and reach the core offenders who obtained licences in the name of innocent people with an intention to gain control over liquor trade in the districts," the release said.
ACB learnt that in some districts, the "core offenders" asked the innocent people to go on `pilgrimage` and be not available for investigation, the statement said, adding that the local elders are requested to counsel them not to be afraid of ACB but to assist in investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam