After Sonia, Rahul Gandhi, KCR meets Digvijay Singh
New Delhi: AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh on Monday held discussions with TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao, amid speculations over the merger of or pre-poll tie-up between the two parties ahead of the Lok Sabha elections.
The meeting between the two leaders comes against the backdrop of Rao calling on Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi early on Monday and his meeting with Congress chief Sonia Gandhi.
"I had a meeting with Rao. We had preliminary discussions on the relationship between TRS and Congress, as he had committed that once Telangana state is created, he is prepared to merge his party," Singh told reporters here.
Queried about the status of the talks between the two parties, he reiterated that it was "preliminary."
Rao had met Sonia Gandhi yesterday sparking speculation of the merger of two parties after Parliament passed the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill, approving the creation of a separate Telangana state.
Singh, who is in-charge of Andhra Pradesh affairs of the party, said new Pradesh Congress Committees would be constituted soon for Seemandhra and Telangana.
According to Congress sources, central in-charges of the party are holding discussions with leaders from both the regions for constituting the committees.
"We are in consultation with leaders from both the regions for preparing two panels for the States. After the process is completed, it would be sent to the approval of the top leadership," a Congress leader said.
Those in charge of Congress affairs in Andhra Pradesh are expected to meet tomorrow as well to conclude the list of leaders to be nominated for various positions in Seemandhra and Telangana regions.
Andhra Pradesh PCC president Botcha Satyanarayana was also present in the meeting, party sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!