AIADMK allies upset by unilateral announcement of candidates
Chennai: Jolted by AIADMK`s `unilateral` announcement of candidates for 160 seats even before identification of constituencies to its allies for the April 13 Tamil Nadu polls, DMDK and Left party leaders went into a huddle Thursday to decide about their future electoral strategy.
The DMDK leader, Vijayakant who is understood to have expressed his displeasure over AIADMK`s announcement, had been consulting his party cadre which had gathered in the party
The leaders of the Left parties, G Ramakrishnan (CPI-M) D Pandian (CPI), and Kathiravan of All India Forward Bloc (AIFB) along with Puthiya Tamizhagam leader Dr K Krishnasamy and All India Moovendar Munnetra Kazhagam leader Dr N Sethuraman were holding talks among themselves and planned to meet Vijayakant jointly to evolve a common strategy.
These parties were said to be favouring a Third Front if the AIADMK did not relent and withdraw its candidates from seats these parties intended to contest from.
In the list of 160 constituencies the AIADMK had taken six of sitting CPI (M) MLA seats including that of Dindigul represented by party`s Floor Leader in Assembly, K Balabarathy, Mannargudi represented by V Sivapunniyam, CPI Floor Leader besides three other seats including Thiruthuraipoondi, considered as a CPI bastion.
The MDMK headquarters here wore a deserted look as AIADMK had virtually shut the door on it with a meagre offer of eight seats against a minimum of 21 demanded by the Vaiko-led party.
The leaders of these parties were sore with the manner in which their parties were treated by AIADMK leader J Jayalalithaa.
AIADMK leadership is tight-lipped over the sudden development.
The CPI-M had expressed "shock" on Wednesday over Jayalalithaa announcing her party candidates, naming aspirants for constituencies that were part of its wish-list. The CPI had also expressed displeasure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof