Ajit Singh launches Telangana unit of RLD
Hyderabad: Extending support to the Telangana movement, Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) chief and Union Minister Ajit Singh on Sunday launched his party`s unit here and promised to raise the issue in Parliament.
Singh, who announced the formation of his party`s Telangana unit, told reporters that he was also trying to form a `Friends of Telangana` group for enabling all parties supporting the movement to come together.
"The purpose of my coming here today is I want the RLD to be associated with this movement. In fact, the party had 27 of its MLAs from this region of Andhra Pradesh and also ministers once upon a time," he said.
The struggle for separate Telangana had been going on for long and that he himself was associated with the movement earlier, Singh said, adding that some or the other hurdles were coming in the way of its formation.
"It was a misfortune that despite so much support from the people and getting a promise from the Centre also...People here feel cheated (on Telangana issue) and hence the struggle for separate state continues," he said.
Replying to a query, Singh said he had spoken to Congress president Sonia Gandhi on the Telangana issue and would continue to hold talks on the matter.
"It is finally up to the Central government to decide on granting statehood to the region and the Parliament has to pass a resolution in this regard," the Union Civil Aviation Minister said.
Earlier, he said while addressing party workers that the RLD had always supported the creation of smaller states. "It is not a new thing, we have been in favour of smaller states and participated in separate state movements for Uttarakhand and Jharkhand. Now, we are creating a movement for (separate) Vidharbha."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly