Akbar Owaisi sent to jail till Feb 7 in another hate speech case
Hyderabad: A court in Andhra Pradesh`s Nizamabad district Thursday sent MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi to judicial custody in another hate speech case.
The police shifted Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) legislator from Adilabad, where he is already lodged in a jail, to Nizamabad town, 175 km from here, and produced him before a magistrate, who sent Owaisi to jail till Feb 7 for delivering a hate speech in the town last month.
Following the magistrate`s orders, the police shifted the MIM leader back to jail in Adilabad town, about 300 km from here.
Police produced Akbar Owaisi a few hours after the court granted it time till Jan 31 to do so.
Akbar Owaisi was arrested by the police Jan 8 for making a hate speech at a public meeting at Nirmal on Dec 22. The next day, a court in Nirmal town sent him to judicial custody for two weeks. His custody was later extended till Feb 5.
A member of the state assembly from Chandrayangutta constituency in Hyderabad, Owaisi is facing charges of sedition, waging war against the nation and promoting enmity between people.
Cases were also booked against him in several police stations in Hyderabad, Ranga Reddy and other districts on complaints lodged by individuals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note