Akbaruddin Owaisi gets lesson on religious harmony
Hyderabad: Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi, whose alleged hate speech has triggered national outrage, was given a lesson on religious harmony and brotherhood by a sitting judge of the Andhra Pradesh High Court while hearing a plea against him.
The piece of advice came from Justice L Narasimha Reddy, who wondered how someone like Owaisi was using his position to instigate people on communal lines when his own life was once saved by the prayers of hundreds of ordinary Indians, besides medical efforts.
These observations were made by Justice Reddy on Wednesday, who also sought a response from the state and police authorities on a petition filed by the MIM MLA seeking to stall the registration of multiple FIRs on his alleged hate speech.
The judge, while admitting the MIM legislator’s petition, posted the matter for hearing after the Sankranti vacation.
The judge, while declining to grant any interim relief to the MIM legislator, also elaborated on the peaceful coexistence of Hindus and Muslims in country since time immemorial.
Justice Reddy said that the MIM MLA has made several derogatory remarks against Hindu gods and slammed him for showing no respect to the land that has made him, his father and brother legislators.
The Andhra High Court judge further cautioned that the MIM legislator, who had bright future in politics, has dug his own grave through his hate speech.
During his observation, Justice Reddy said that venomous remarks of the MIM MLA was in sharp contrast with the general image of Indian Muslims who never sponsored such needless hatred.
The judge also reminded the legislator that the senior counsel (DV Sitarama Murthy), who came to defend his speech bore the name of the Hindu deity.
When the MIM MLA’s counsel urged him to restrain the authorities from registering FIRs against his client, Reddy said it was not possible now since people from various states have seen his hate speech on YouTube and condemned it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves