Akbaruddin Owaisi`s judicial custody extended till Feb 5
Hyderabad: An Andhra Pradesh court on Tuesday extended MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi`s judicial custody till February 05 in a hate speech case.
As the Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) legislator`s 14-day custody was ending on Tuesday, the police produced him in the Munsif magistrate`s court in Nirmal, about 200 km from here.
The court extended his judicial remand by another two weeks.
The MIM leader was later shifted back to district jail in Adilabad town, about 90 km from Nirmal.
Police had made elaborate security arrangements around the court to prevent any untoward incident.
Prohibitory orders banning assembly of five or more people were also imposed in the town.
Owaisi was arrested by the police on January 08 for making a hate speech at a public meeting at Nirmal on Dec 22. The next day, he was sent to judicial custody.
The police also questioned the legislator for four days.
A member of Assembly from Chandrayangutta constituency in Hyderabad, Owaisi is facing charges of sedition, waging war against nation and criminal conspiracy.
The MIM leader was booked by the police on January 03 after some citizens moved courts in Hyderabad, seeking action against him for allegedly making derogatory comments about Hindu gods.
The young legislator, who was away in London, returned on January 07.
He is also facing police cases for making provocative speech at Nizamabad town on December 08.
Cases were also booked against Owaisi in several police stations in Hyderabad, Ranga Reddy and other districts on complaints lodged by individuals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Massive surge in BJP's seats; counting underway
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway