Akbaruddin Owaisi`s judicial custody extended till Feb 5
Hyderabad: An Andhra Pradesh court on Tuesday extended MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi`s judicial custody till February 05 in a hate speech case.
As the Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) legislator`s 14-day custody was ending on Tuesday, the police produced him in the Munsif magistrate`s court in Nirmal, about 200 km from here.
The court extended his judicial remand by another two weeks.
The MIM leader was later shifted back to district jail in Adilabad town, about 90 km from Nirmal.
Police had made elaborate security arrangements around the court to prevent any untoward incident.
Prohibitory orders banning assembly of five or more people were also imposed in the town.
Owaisi was arrested by the police on January 08 for making a hate speech at a public meeting at Nirmal on Dec 22. The next day, he was sent to judicial custody.
The police also questioned the legislator for four days.
A member of Assembly from Chandrayangutta constituency in Hyderabad, Owaisi is facing charges of sedition, waging war against nation and criminal conspiracy.
The MIM leader was booked by the police on January 03 after some citizens moved courts in Hyderabad, seeking action against him for allegedly making derogatory comments about Hindu gods.
The young legislator, who was away in London, returned on January 07.
He is also facing police cases for making provocative speech at Nizamabad town on December 08.
Cases were also booked against Owaisi in several police stations in Hyderabad, Ranga Reddy and other districts on complaints lodged by individuals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand