Ambedkar statue desecrated in Andhra Pradesh
Rajahmundry: Unidentified persons
desecrated a statue of Indian Constitution`s architect B R Ambedkar at Dowleswaram here, police said.
The desecration, which took place at a road junction,
sparked tension in Dowleswaram and forces have been rushed to
the area to maintain peace, they said.
Further details are awaited.
Dalit leaders, who visited the town, were angry over the
"It`s a grave insult to Ambedkar. The incident has
occurred on a day when the country is celebrating the Republic
Day," they said.
On January 23, five statues of the Dalit icon werefound
vandalised in different villages under Amalapuram division,
about 70 kms from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital