‘Amend Constitution to provide reservation to Muslims’
Hyderabad: The Telugu Desam Party on Tuesday demanded the Centre to amend the Constitution of India for providing reservation to Muslims in educational institutions and jobs.
Reacting to the quashing by the AP High Court of the reservation sub-quota for Muslims, TDP president Chandrababu Naidu said the Centre should create exclusive quota for Muslims by bringing in a constitutional amendment.
"There should not be a quota within quota (of OBCs). The Congress, both in AP and at the Centre, has been cheating Muslims on the reservation issue. The 4.5 per cent reservation was provided in haste on the eve of the UP Assembly elections to garner votes. The only way to ensure proper quota is through a constitutional amendment," Chandrababu asserted.
The Andhra Pradesh High Court had on Monday quashed the 4.5 per cent reservation for Muslims from the 27 per cent OBC quota.
A division bench of the HC headed by Chief Justice Madan B Lokur observed that the sub-quota was based on religious lines and not on any other intelligible consideration.
"There was no rationale or empirical data to justify such an action," the bench noted, indicting the Central government for handling the issue in a "casual manner".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org