‘Amend Constitution to provide reservation to Muslims’
Hyderabad: The Telugu Desam Party on Tuesday demanded the Centre to amend the Constitution of India for providing reservation to Muslims in educational institutions and jobs.
Reacting to the quashing by the AP High Court of the reservation sub-quota for Muslims, TDP president Chandrababu Naidu said the Centre should create exclusive quota for Muslims by bringing in a constitutional amendment.
"There should not be a quota within quota (of OBCs). The Congress, both in AP and at the Centre, has been cheating Muslims on the reservation issue. The 4.5 per cent reservation was provided in haste on the eve of the UP Assembly elections to garner votes. The only way to ensure proper quota is through a constitutional amendment," Chandrababu asserted.
The Andhra Pradesh High Court had on Monday quashed the 4.5 per cent reservation for Muslims from the 27 per cent OBC quota.
A division bench of the HC headed by Chief Justice Madan B Lokur observed that the sub-quota was based on religious lines and not on any other intelligible consideration.
"There was no rationale or empirical data to justify such an action," the bench noted, indicting the Central government for handling the issue in a "casual manner".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- New protein gives new hope for Alzheimer's cure!
- Android users can now enjoy Prisma app!
- Another setback! Case filed against AAP workers for preventing emergency vehicle's movement
- WATCH: UNPLAYABLE! Have you seen this 'T20 ball of the century' by R Ashwin?
- Flood alert: Situation remains grim in Assam, Arunachal, railways affected in Bihar