Andha Pradesh urges MEA for steps to bring back workers stuck in Libya
New Delhi: Amidst spiralling violence in Libya, Andhra Pradesh government on Monday sought the Centre`s intervention to evacuate the people from the state who are working in the North African country.
"I request that suitable instructions may be issued to the Indian Embassy to interfere and provide all necessary aid in terms of food, clothing and shelter to Andhra Pradesh migrants and also to arrange to bring them back," AP`s Special Representative, K Rama Mohana Rao, said in a letter to External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
Citing media reports, Rao said that several people from AP who had migrated to Libya for employment are stranded with the civil war in the country having gradually intensified.
Most of the AP workers are semi-skilled and unskilled labourers employed in remote areas of the violence-ravaged country, Rao said as he raised concern over their safety.
"They (the AP workers) need to be brought to the areas of safety before they can return to India. As they are poor, they may not be in a position to pay for their travel home. Therefore, necessary assistance needs to be provided for their return," he added.
Two weeks of fighting between militias in Libya`s capital Tripoli has left 97 people dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up