Andhra assembly adjourned over Telangana issue
Hyderabad: The Monsoon Session of the Andhra Pradesh Assembly began on a stormy note on Monday as legislators from various parties noisily demanded a resolution on the issue of statehood for Telangana, leading to the house being adjourned for the day.
The house was first adjourned repeatedly and then till Tuesday as the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Communist Party of India (CPI) demanded a Telangana resolution.
The legislators surrounded Speaker N Manohar`s podium. Members of the main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) also rushed towards his podium. Amid the din, the speaker adjourned the house for the day.
He had earlier adjourned the house twice.
As soon as the house met for the day, TRS and BJP members were on their feet raising slogans of `Jai Telangana`. They ignored the speaker`s repeated appeals to allow the house to take up debate on the electricity problem. The speaker then adjourned the house for 45 minutes.
There was no change in the situation when the house re-assembled. Manohar again adjourned the house for half-an-hour and finally on the third occasion for the day.
With this, the assembly lost the first day of the five-day session. The TDP and other opposition parties were already unhappy with the government for calling a brief session when the people are facing numerous problems.
Earlier, TDP legislators led by party chief N Chandrababu Naidu reached the assembly in a `padyatra` to protest severe power shortage in the state. Holding a lantern in his hands, Naidu along with his party MLAs marched from Tank Bund to the assembly. The leader of opposition alleged that the crisis had hit hard farmers and industry.
Legislators of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) reached the assembly on bicycles to protest the hike in diesel price and the cap on subsidised LPG cylinders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'