Andhra Assembly remains paralysed over Telangana bill
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh Assembly was adjourned again Tuesday without any debate on the bill for formation of separate Telangana state as the stalemate continued due to strong opposition from Seemandhra legislators.
Speaker N Manohar adjourned the house thrice, the third time for the day as the house was rocked by utter pandemonium.
The Seemandhra legislators of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and YSR Congress party surrounded the speaker`s podium raising slogans in support of united Andhra Pradesh. The lawmakers from Telangana countered them with the demand for immediate debate on the bill.
For the fourth consecutive day, the house was adjourned without taking up the bill for the debate.
The four-hour long meeting of Business Advisory Committee (BAC) Monday failed to break the impasse with Seemandhra legislators of TDP and YSR Congress refusing to budge from their stand.
The TDP wanted the bill to be sent back to President Pranab Mukherjee with a resolution to urge him to reconsider bifurcation of the state while YSR Congress demanded that the house pass a resolution in support of united Andhra Pradesh.
The legislative council also remained parlaysed over the issue. Legislative Affairs Minister S. Sailajanth told the council amid the uproar that the government is ready for debate. He said those stalling the debate were in fact helping in the bifurcation of the state.
President Mukherjee had last month referred Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill 2013 to the state assembly for its views under article 3 of the constitution. The bill was tabled in the assembly on Dec 16 but no debate could be taken up due to protest by Seemandhra legislators.
The Winter Session resumed Jan 3 but the deadlock on the bill continued. The president has given time till Jan 23 to the Assembly to send back the bill with its views.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report