Andhra Assembly session kicks off on stormy note
Hyderabad: The Winter Session of the Andhra Pradesh legislative Assembly began on a stormy note Thursday with the opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) stalling the proceedings, forcing the Speaker to adjourn the house.
It was trouble right from the word go as TDP members rushed to the Speaker`s podium seeking an assurance that he would take up the no-confidence motion moved by the party.
As soon as the five-day session began at 9 am, the TDP members were on their feet. Holding placards to highlight the problems of farmers, they rushed towards the Speaker`s podium.
TDP legislators did not even allow Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy to move a condolence motion over the death of a sitting member belonging to the ruling Congress party.
"This is very unfortunate. It is unprecedented," remarked Speaker N Manohar while appealing to the opposition to abide by the house traditions and rules.
Earlier, TDP leaders submitted a notice to the Speaker`s office for a no-confidence motion against the government.
TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu and other party legislators reached the assembly in a `padyatra` from NTR Ghat, where they paid tributes to party founder NT Rama Rao at his `samadhi`.
Naidu alleged that the government has failed to come to the rescue of farmers reeling under severe drought.
Tension prevailed near the assembly building as police stopped legislators and others of the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) from entering the premises with placards.
TRS members were clad in black to protest the arrest of the party`s politburo member Cheruku Sudhakar in Nalgonda district.
TRS is also demanding that the house pass a resolution demanding formation of a separate Telangana state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings