Andhra bifurcation: Power generation in Seemandhra hit as employees on strike
Hyderabad: Generation and supply of electricity was severely affected in several parts of Coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema regions on Sunday due to ongoing strike by employees of power utilities against the division of Andhra Pradesh.
In the wake of the stir, Railways cancelled several passenger services and the pilgrim town of Tirumala-Tirupati, where the annual `Brahmotsavams` were going on, was also affected, official sources said.
Power generation was severely affected at units in Vijayawada, Srisailam areas among others.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy has appealed to the striking employees of TRANSCO, GENCO and DISCOMs to resume duties immediately, an official release said.
The strike has hit important services like hospitals, drinking water, railways among others.
Since general public are suffering for no fault of theirs, the employees should rethink about their strike on humanitarian grounds and avoid inconvenience, the Chief Minister said.
Kiran held a high-level review meeting with senior officials of energy department and power utilities.
On occasion of `Brahmotsavams`, thousands of pilgrims from all over the world visiting Tirumala for `darshan` of Lord Venkateswara are facing inconvenience, he said.
Kiran asked employees of Andhra Pradesh Southern Power Distribution Company Limited (APSPDCL) from Krishna, Guntur, Ongole, Nellore, Kurnool, Kadapa, Anantapur and Chittoor districts to call off the strike and resume duty considering the ongoing Brahmotsavams at the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam.
On directions of the Chief Minister, the Joint Executive Officer (JEO) of TTD held discussions with electricity employees leaders and as a result, power supply to Tirumala has been restored, according to sources.
Meanwhile, the South Central Railway said several trains have been fully cancelled or regulated in view of the strike by the employees of Andhra Pradesh Power Transmission Corporation (APTRANSCO).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing