Andhra bifurcation row: Jagan to hold rally in Telangana region
Zee Media Bureau
Hyderabad: YSR Congress president YS Jaganmohan Reddy is expected to hold a massive public rally here on Saturday where he is supposed to rekindle the Telangana issue.
It will also be the first public gathering in the Telangana region that Reddy would address since leaving jail late last month. He spent more than a year in prison after being charged with corruption.
Despite heavy rains pounding several districts across the state wreaking havoc and disrupting rail and road traffic, reportedly, YSR Congress has decided to go ahead and hold the meeting called `Samaikya Shankharavam` as scheduled.
Reports said that the meeting will be held between 2 pm and 5 pm at Lal Bahadur Shastri stadium in Hyderabad tomorrow. At least five lakh people from different parts of the state are likely to take part in the meeting, the YSRCP has claimed.
According to reports, Jagan is expected to re-launch his protest against a separate Telangana state and repeat his demand of a united Andhra Pradesh.
The YSR chief went to the Andhra Pradesh High Court today seeking permission for the rally. The court allowed him to hold a public meeting in peaceful manner. However, Justice M Rammohan Rao has warned Reddy against making any provocative speeches, which could incite the crowd.
Earlier, a special CBI court had granted bail to Jagan, who had been in jail for 16 months after being arrested in a disproportionate assets case on May 27, 2012.
Meanwhile, a delegation comprising Andhra Pradesh ministers and MLAs opposed to the bifurcation today met state Governor ESL Narasimhan, who has been holding parleys with leaders over Telangana issue in the national capital.
"We met the Governor making a representation for united Andhra," said Ganta Srinivasa Rao, the Minister for Infrastructure and Investments and Ports.
The Governor has been camping in Delhi since early this week amid hectic political activity over division of Andhra Pradesh. He has been holding deliberations with a host of leaders, including the Group of Ministers (GoM) which is looking into the Telangana issue.
The ministers insisted on due constitutional procedures to be followed while bifurcating the state as it was done for Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand.
Rao alleged that Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh were giving contradictory statements.
"Sushilkumar Shinde claims that the resolution over bifurcation will not come to the state legislature even as Digvijay Singh says the resolution will be referred to the assembly," he said.
The minister said the democratic process demanded that the bill be referred to the state assembly. Meanwhile, the delegation also met Union Minister for Tourism Chiranjeevi at his residence and held discussions on the situation.
According to Kurasala Kannababu, MLA from Kakinada rural, the delegation stressed that the Union Ministers from Seemandhra region must meet the Group of Ministers to emphasise that they would not compromise anything less than united Andhra.
Union Minister for HRD MM Pallam Raju and MPs were also present during the meeting.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened