Andhra bypoll results could give new direction to
Hyderabad: The by-elections to 18 Assembly segments n Andhra Pradesh, slated for Tuesday, is not expected to lead to the fall of Kiran Kumar Reddy government in Andhra Pradesh anytime soon but will certainly give a new direction to the state politics.
The fledgling YSR Congress of Kadapa MP YS Jaganmohan Reddy has emerged as the biggest threat to the ruling party from which he walked out in November, 2010, while the principal opposition Telugu Desam Party is unable to cash in on the strong anti-incumbency against the eight-year-old Congress rule.
A "wave" is expected in favour of YSRC his arrest in the disproportionate assets case and the corruption allegations against him notwithstanding and its candidates are likely to come out triumphant.
As current trends indicate, YSRC is front-runner in almost all the constituencies except Parkal in Warangal district of Telangana.
The by-elections have been caused due to the disqualification of 16 Congress MLAs who had voted against the government on the no-confidence motion while an MLA of the erstwhile Praja Rajyam Party resigned from the assembly.
Tirupati Assembly constituency is facing by-poll due to election of sitting MLA K Chiranjeevi to Rajya Sabha in March.
Of the 18 Assembly seats, 16 were won by Congress and two by erstwhile Praja Rajyam Party in 2009.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview