Andhra bypoll results could give new direction to
Hyderabad: The by-elections to 18 Assembly segments n Andhra Pradesh, slated for Tuesday, is not expected to lead to the fall of Kiran Kumar Reddy government in Andhra Pradesh anytime soon but will certainly give a new direction to the state politics.
The fledgling YSR Congress of Kadapa MP YS Jaganmohan Reddy has emerged as the biggest threat to the ruling party from which he walked out in November, 2010, while the principal opposition Telugu Desam Party is unable to cash in on the strong anti-incumbency against the eight-year-old Congress rule.
A "wave" is expected in favour of YSRC his arrest in the disproportionate assets case and the corruption allegations against him notwithstanding and its candidates are likely to come out triumphant.
As current trends indicate, YSRC is front-runner in almost all the constituencies except Parkal in Warangal district of Telangana.
The by-elections have been caused due to the disqualification of 16 Congress MLAs who had voted against the government on the no-confidence motion while an MLA of the erstwhile Praja Rajyam Party resigned from the assembly.
Tirupati Assembly constituency is facing by-poll due to election of sitting MLA K Chiranjeevi to Rajya Sabha in March.
Of the 18 Assembly seats, 16 were won by Congress and two by erstwhile Praja Rajyam Party in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!