Andhra bypoll results could give new direction to
Hyderabad: The by-elections to 18 Assembly segments n Andhra Pradesh, slated for Tuesday, is not expected to lead to the fall of Kiran Kumar Reddy government in Andhra Pradesh anytime soon but will certainly give a new direction to the state politics.
The fledgling YSR Congress of Kadapa MP YS Jaganmohan Reddy has emerged as the biggest threat to the ruling party from which he walked out in November, 2010, while the principal opposition Telugu Desam Party is unable to cash in on the strong anti-incumbency against the eight-year-old Congress rule.
A "wave" is expected in favour of YSRC his arrest in the disproportionate assets case and the corruption allegations against him notwithstanding and its candidates are likely to come out triumphant.
As current trends indicate, YSRC is front-runner in almost all the constituencies except Parkal in Warangal district of Telangana.
The by-elections have been caused due to the disqualification of 16 Congress MLAs who had voted against the government on the no-confidence motion while an MLA of the erstwhile Praja Rajyam Party resigned from the assembly.
Tirupati Assembly constituency is facing by-poll due to election of sitting MLA K Chiranjeevi to Rajya Sabha in March.
Of the 18 Assembly seats, 16 were won by Congress and two by erstwhile Praja Rajyam Party in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25