Andhra chief minister rules out resolution on Telangana
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy Monday turned down the demand for passing a resolution in the state assembly for separate statehood to the Telangana region.
The chief minister made it clear during the meeting of the Business Advisory Committee (BAC) of the assembly that no resolution can be passed on the issue as the central government was dealing with it.
The BAC meeting was held to chalk out the agenda for the budget session, which resumed Monday after a gap of nearly two-and-half months.
The Telanagana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Communist Party of India demanded that a resolution be passed by the assembly, urging the centre to carve out a Telangana state.
The chief minister, however, told the leaders of these parties that there was nothing in the hands of the state government as it was for the centre to take a decision.
Like in the first phase, the Telangana issue is likely to dominate the session. The TRS has already announced that it would not allow the house to function unless the Telangana resolution is moved.
Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC), whose constituents include the TRS and the BJP, has also called for `chalo assembly` June 14 to demand the assembly to pass a resolution.
The JAC has called upon people to participate in lakhs. The apex body, spearheading the Telangana movement, is determined to go ahead with the march despite police denying permission.
Hyderabad Police Commissioner Anurag Sharma said police would deal firmly with those trying to violate the prohibitory orders around the assembly building.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city