Andhra CM Reddy meets Sonia, discusses Telangana issue
New Delhi: With the demand for the creation of a separate state of Telangana gaining momentum, Andhra Pradesh chief minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy met Congress President Sonia Gandhi here on Sunday and is understood to have discussed the contentious matter.
It is believed that Reddy, who met the UPA Chairperson at her 10, Janpath residence here, discussed the Telangana statehood demand issue.
The meeting assumes significance, as it comes a day after 16 Andhra Pradesh ministers in their joint memorandum to Gandhi said the MPs from Telangana had already presented their case before the top leadership and made no secret of their `uncompromising stand` on a separate state.
There was, however, no official statement issued with regard to the meeting between Andhra Pradesh chief minister and the Congress President.
Congress on Wednesday said it will take up the issue of a separate Telangana state after presentation of the Union Budget.
Congress spokesman Shakeel Ahmed told reporters this assurance was given by the Leader of the Lok Sabha, Pranab Mukherjee, to a group of party MPs from Telangana, who met him today.
Ahmed said the MPs also met Ahmed Patel, political secretary to Congress President Sonia Gandhi in this regard.
N Kiran Kumar Reddy had on Tuesday appealed to Telangana protagonists not to hamper development and welfare programmes, and maintained that it was for the Centre to take a decision on the contentious statehood issue.
The Central Government has appointed a judicial commission headed by former Supreme Court Justice Srikrishna to look into issue.
The report, submitted to union home minister P Chidambaram in December last year, has suggested at least six options, including maintaining status quo in the state or bifurcating the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi