Andhra CM Rosaiah resigns citing age
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister K Rosaiah resigned on Wednesday, saying he was unable to withstand the work-pressure because of his age.
Minutes after making the announcement at a news conference, he drove to Raj Bhavan, submitted his resignation to Governor ESL Narasimhan and requested him to accept it with immediate effect.
The Congress Legislature Party (CLP) will elect a new leader at an emergency meeting on Wednesday evening.
The 78-year-old leader had taken over as the chief minister on September 3 last year following the death of YS Rajasekhara Reddy in a helicopter crash.
The resignation came amid mounting pressure from a section of the party leaders to act against party MP YS Jaganmohan Reddy in the wake of a progarmme telecast by the latter`s "Sakshi" channel criticizing Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
"There is no specific reason. Because of my age and because of the situation I am not able to withstand. So I sought permission from the high command for my resignation and at last they have agreed and permitted me. I am grateful to the high command, particularly Srimati Sonia Gandhi," Rosaiah told reporters.
He said he was satisfied with his work during the last 14 months and thanked Gandhi and all leaders and legislators of the party.
The veteran leader quit a day after his visit to New Delhi, where he is believed to have met Gandhi and submitted his resignation letter. On his return to Hyderabad Tuesday night, he announced that the CLP meeting would be held Wednesday evening.
Since the meeting`s agenda was not decided, it was believed that it was called to isolate Jagan and his loyalists and condemn the programme aired on the channel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday