Andhra CM says no review meeting held by Governor
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister K
Rosaiah on Wednesday clarified that new Governor E S L Narasimhan did not hold any review meeting on the law and order situation
soon after taking charge here two days ago.
"Rather, I have only briefed him about the happenings in
the state since he is the head of the State," Rosaiah said in
reply to a query.
"Governor is the head of the State. This is his
government. Out of respect for the new Governor, I have called
on him and incidentally briefed him about the happenings in
the state," the Chief Minister said.
He denied the Governor had called any meeting to review
law and order situation in the wake of the ongoing agitation
over the Telangana issue.
"In fact, I have sought an appointment to meet him after
he took charge. I have also sought permission to let some
higher officials accompany me to the Governor. It is not
correct to say it was a review meeting," Rosaiah said,
rebutting Opposition criticism over the "pro-active" role
being played by the Governor.
Principal Opposition TDP had criticised the Governor for
holding a review meeting on law and order and apprehended that
it was indicative of an "undeclared President`s rule" in the
The Chief Minister pointed out that Narasimhan was an
Indian Police Service officer of AP cadre and had worked in
high positions in the Intelligence Bureau. "Naturally, he will
also be eager to know things about the state. Beyond that we
need not read anything into it."
Narasimhan had many friends in the state as well as
colleagues who worked alongside him in the police department.
There was nothing wrong in such people meeting him, he said.
Meanwhile, the Chief Minister also justified the
postponement of scheduled meeting of the state Cabinet in view
of the bandh today.
"It requires minute-to-minute monitoring and quick
response to solve any problem arising out of the situation. I
can`t keep officials engaged in a Cabinet meeting for three
hours. So we have decided to put off the meeting," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'