Andhra CM says no review meeting held by Governor
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister K
Rosaiah on Wednesday clarified that new Governor E S L Narasimhan did not hold any review meeting on the law and order situation
soon after taking charge here two days ago.
"Rather, I have only briefed him about the happenings in
the state since he is the head of the State," Rosaiah said in
reply to a query.
"Governor is the head of the State. This is his
government. Out of respect for the new Governor, I have called
on him and incidentally briefed him about the happenings in
the state," the Chief Minister said.
He denied the Governor had called any meeting to review
law and order situation in the wake of the ongoing agitation
over the Telangana issue.
"In fact, I have sought an appointment to meet him after
he took charge. I have also sought permission to let some
higher officials accompany me to the Governor. It is not
correct to say it was a review meeting," Rosaiah said,
rebutting Opposition criticism over the "pro-active" role
being played by the Governor.
Principal Opposition TDP had criticised the Governor for
holding a review meeting on law and order and apprehended that
it was indicative of an "undeclared President`s rule" in the
The Chief Minister pointed out that Narasimhan was an
Indian Police Service officer of AP cadre and had worked in
high positions in the Intelligence Bureau. "Naturally, he will
also be eager to know things about the state. Beyond that we
need not read anything into it."
Narasimhan had many friends in the state as well as
colleagues who worked alongside him in the police department.
There was nothing wrong in such people meeting him, he said.
Meanwhile, the Chief Minister also justified the
postponement of scheduled meeting of the state Cabinet in view
of the bandh today.
"It requires minute-to-minute monitoring and quick
response to solve any problem arising out of the situation. I
can`t keep officials engaged in a Cabinet meeting for three
hours. So we have decided to put off the meeting," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader